You only have one set of teeth and gums so it’s important to ensure they remain as healthy as possible.
By making sure your teeth and mouth are kept as healthy as possible, Preventative Dentistry can prevent the need for more major dental treatment in the future.
At TiggaSmile, this is something we are passionate about and are always happy to give you advice and guidance on maintaining your oral health.
Two of the main issues that Preventative Dentistry addresses are Tooth Decay and Gum Disease. Despite them being relatively easy to manage through good oral hygiene, they are two of the leading causes of tooth loss. Addressing these issues consistently, and coming up with a maintenance plan, can provide good oral health into your later life.
14 Steps to Dental Health
When you visit our dental team for a routine appointment, we complete a 14-step dental check-up to make sure you receive the right treatment and leave our surgery feeling confident about the health of your teeth and gums.
- Are you a Nervous Patient? We will endeavor to make you feel as comfortable as possible from the minute you pick up the phone to speak to one of our team members to the moment you step foot into our practice where will be greeted by our friendly staff.
- We will listen to your concerns: Are you worried about something in particular? Have you noticed any changes in your teeth and gums since your last visit? This is your chance to let us know what’s going on with your oral health
- We will ask about your medical history: Are you on any medication or receiving treatment for another health condition? This information helps us to give you the right treatment
- We will check your teeth: We will examine your teeth to ensure they are strong and healthy and that there are no visible signs of decay
- We will check your gums: Your gums should be healthy and pink and we will examine them for any signs of disease
- We will examine existing dental restorations: We will look at previous fillings, bridges or implants to ensure they are functioning as they should be and firmly set in place
- We will check for plaque build-up: We will remove any plaque build-up within the mouth to prevent gum disease
Back to General Dentistry
- We will carry out an oral cancer screen: As experts in dental health, we will be on the lookout for any unusual signs or symptoms that could indicate oral cancer
- You might need an x-ray: During the course of our examination, we may want to have a closer look at your teeth and jaw bone structure, so we may take an x-ray
- We will check your bite: This is to ensure your teeth are in correct alignment and haven’t been affected by grinding
- We will examine the exterior of your mouth: We may check your lips, neck, and jaw for enlarged lymph nodes
- We will make sure you’re happy with your smile: Do you have any concerns about the shape, colour or positioning of your teeth? Do you want to replace any missing teeth? Let us know and we can provide some advice
- We will provide home care advice: We will let you know if your brushing and flossing routine is working and we may also advise you on what sort of products could help improve your oral health
- We will give you a personalised treatment plan that suits your needs.